Day 4 of 31 Five Minute Free Writes: LISTEN

Photo by Aleksandr Slobodianyk from Pexels

(This entry was written on Friday, but due to technical issues, I did not post it until today).


My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
James 1:19

Yesterday, I wrote about problems. Do you know what one of my problems is? Being quick to speak and slow to listen. Sometimes, especially when I am excited about something, I even cut people off because I am just dying to get my thoughts out. Other times, my anger get the best of me and I hurl verbal diarrhea at my loved ones.

I am trying so hard to work this.

I want to REALLY listen to my husband and know what makes him happy, what encourages him, what makes him feel respected.

I want to listen more and talk less when I have those rare one on one times with my teenager or soon-to-be teenager. I have discovered that when I listen more and talk less, they are more likely to listen to what I have to say when I do start talking.

I want to listen to a friend, as she tells me she’s fine, and be able to catch if she’s REALLY fine or just saying she’s fine.

Finally, in my prayer time, I want to listen for His voice instead of my own as I go through my long prayer request. I want to listen to that still small voice of God.


No comments