8 of 31 Days of Five Minute Free Writes: GATHER

From our October Women’s Brunch

My phone finally came today.  I was four days without a phone. These last four day’s made me realize that I may have teetered towards opting to gather in the virtual world over gathering in person.

Life is not easy. I don’t know about you, but more often than not, I feel like I’m on rollercoaster ride. There are ups. There are downs. There are moments that throw you in for a loop. God knew life would not be easy for us. And this is why in the Bible, we are encouraged to gather with like-minded people:

”And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near” (Hebrews 10:25).

When I read this a few years ago, my thought was “That sounds awesome and all but I can’t right now.”  Let’s face it, life gets pretty busy.  At one season in my life, I wanted nothing more than to gather with like-minded women. But that season didn’t allow me to.  Online communities were a blessing during that season, but there is nothing like face to face interaction.

Thanks be to God, that season has passed.  I carve out one Saturday a month to gather with ladies from church. Those Saturdays are such a blessing and I leave that gathering energized. 

There are also long overdue gatherings I have to mindfully make time for: a monthly gathering with my sisters, a gathering with the first three friends I made here, a gathering with a friend who moved a little farther away.

It isn’t always easy to carve out time to gather, but it is so crucial to our overall health. 

Are you able to carve out time to gather with others?

No comments