Easy Recipe: Chicken and Kale

What I love about summer in New York is being enjoy Farmer's Markets.  At this time of the year, the markets have my family's favorite fruits and vegetables for sale.  Berries, kale, watermelon, zucchini, cucumbers!

This Sunday, I cooked up a quick and easy to make dish with chicken, and kale and carrots which I purchased from a local Farmer's Market on Saturday. It was something I put together and I don't exactly know what to name it so I'll just name it

RPM Approved Chicken and Kale Dish

Ingredients:
Approximately 2lbs of chicken cut up in 2 inch boneless pieces.
16 oz of kale
8 carrots, peeled and cut about 1 inch long
6 cloves of garlic (add or subtract cloves according to your preference)
Smoked Paprika
Salt
Pepper
Garlic Powder
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or Coconut Oil if you are doing Paleo)

Directions:
1. Season the chicken with paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
2. Heat up the oil in the pan in medium heat.
3. Add garlic into the pan.  Cook until golden. Do not let it burn.
4. Add the chicken and sautte until it is brown.
5. Add the carrots.
6. Cover the pan. Cook carrots and chicken in medium heat. Stir occasionally, until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
7. Add the kale and add seasoning as needed.
8. Continue to cook in low heat for about 10 minutes.

Serve with cauliflower rice (for Paleo or RPM friendly), brown rice or whole wheat pasta or gluten free pasta. 

I served the chicken dish with gluten free pasta and ended the meal with refreshing watermelon.

Afterwards, the boys roasted marshmallows outside. Yes, marshmallows aren't exactly healthy. However, I believe it's ok to allow children to have sweets in moderation. Besides, in the case of the marshmallows, my boys DID work hard on making the fire pit with their cousin.  They also worked hard getting wood for the fire and even splitting the wood with an ax. What's a campfire without marshmallows??


A little bird told me that my friend Christa Cordova is sharing another delicious summer recipe over at the Read, Pray, Move Ministry Page. Be sure to hop on over there to check out this summer must have! Especially if you've overindulged during the Fourth of July weekend. <3

No comments