Healthy Taco Bar (with clean, homemade taco seasoning)



Yes, I am aware it isn't a Tuesday but Taco Day or Taco Monday doesn't sound as great as Taco Tuesday. I could have waited to publish this on Tuesday, BUT I only post on my blog on Mondays and I don't want to skip this Monday again (I skipped last Monday because I wasn't feel that great last weekend AND my 10 year old had four friends sleepover).

Besides, this Taco Bar Menu is perfect for any day!  We actually had tacos on Thursday this past week. Tuesday was a snow day and Mama Marie wanted venison stew.

I hope you enjoy this recipe!  You can even double the recipe if you're entertaining (great for Super Bowl Sunday!!!).

Ingredients:
1 1/4 lbs of ground grass fed beef or ground turkey
Homemade taco seasoning (see below)
1 Tsp Olive oil or coconut oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 can tomato sauce
Shredded lettuce
Guacamole
Pico or fresh tomatoes, diced
Small/medium red onions, chopped
Organic cheese (omit if paleo)


Taco Shell Options:
Organic taco shells
Organic blue corn tortilla chips
Romaine lettuce


Directions:
1. Heat oil in a non-stick pan or skillet.  Add onions, cilantro and garlic.
2. When onion is translucent, add meat and cook, making sure to break up the clumps of meat.
3. Stir in tomato sauce and taco seasoning.
4. Set the table with the meat, and various toppings and shells. ENJOY!



Homemade taco seasoning
1 1/2 - 2 tsp cumin
1 1/2 Tbs chili powder
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp Himalaya sea salt
Onion powder

In my home, with the exception of my 10 year old, we prefer making taco bowls so we skip the shell and just pile on the meat and veggies!!! YUMMMMY!!!!

No comments