Worth More Than Stew


 


   

  "'Look I am dying of starvation!' said Esau, 'What good is my birthright in me now," (Genesis 25:32).  I am reading the One Year Chronological Bible again.  This week, I was in Genesis 25, when Esau sold his birthright to his brother Jacob.  Did he sell his birthright for massive land?  Nope.  Did he sell it for cattle? Not that either.  He sold his birthright for a bowl of STEW.

    That's right.  A bowl of stew.  One day, he came home from the wilderness, "exhausted and hungry" (Genesis 25:29) and asked Jacob for some of his stew.  I have read this passage a few times before, and it never really sat right with me.  This time around, I camped out on this passage a little bit.  What I realized was that there have been times when I am not all that different from Jacob.

    How many times have I acted like I was willing to give up my birthright in Christ?  The Bible tells us that we have been adopted as God's own children:

"So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves.
Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children.
Now we call him, “Abba, Father.”
  For his Spirit joins with our spirit
to affirm that we are God’s children.
  And since we are his children, we are his heirs.
In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory.
But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering."
(Romans 8:15-17)
 
"But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. 
God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law,
so that he could adopt us as his very own children.  And because we are his children,
God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, prompting us to call out,
 
'Abba, Father.'  Now you are no longer a slave but God’s own child.
And since you are his child, God has made you his heir."
(Galatians 4:4-7) 
 
     And yet, I give up my birthright by giving in to the desires of my flesh.  Not only in eating things that are not good for my body, but also in the way I live my life.  When I give in to my anger and let it manifest by losing my cool towards my family or thinking hateful thoughts towards someone.  When I choose not to forgive others.  When I choose to tell a white lie or even a big lie.  When I allow something to become my god- allow it to run me, to rule me, to be my priority. 
 
     You might say, oh, nobody's perfect.  That is 10000% true.  Everyone sins and falls short of the glory of God.  BUT if I am not careful, if I do not keep myself in check, I can lose my way.  The apostle James writes:

"Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away.
 These desires give birth to sinful actions. 
And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death."
(James 1:14-15, NLT) 

Everyone sins, but we cannot let our sin rule usWe cannot allow sin to take over our birthright.  Reading Esau's story this time around got me thinking about what my "stew" might be in my life.  That thing that, if I am not careful, will end up robbing me of my birthright.   What is your "stew"?

No comments