Healthier Brownie

Who doesn't like sweets? And if you think that because I'm doing this rather intense program with the whole timed nutrition thing, I can't have any sweets... think again!

Last week was week 2 of phase 2 of the program that I am doing called 80 Day Obsession.  The beauty of phase 2 is that every other week on Wednesdays, we get to have REFEED DAY.  It's when you have to replenish the glycogen levels in your muscles so you HAVE to eat some sugar.  It is not a cheat day. I still follow timed nutrition, but we add a few extra servings of fruit, some white carbs, and even dessert.  As I said, it isn't cheat day so it's not an all out junk food binge.  So the desserts are a little bit on the healthier side.  For refeed day, I baked BROWNIES!!

They're the FIXATE Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Brownies.  Yes, it's one of Autumn's recipes from her cooking show and cookbook so it has to be good, right? The secret ingredient? GARBANZO BEANS (chick peas).

Don't knock it till you try it.  I have had people try it before and they liked it.  Except for my neighbor but she's particular with her food textures. So if you're like her, you might not like it, but I urge you to give it a try.  It doesn't hurt to try food once!  OK, here's the recipe:

FIXATE Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Brownies
Ingredients:
1 (15 oz) can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas).  Rinsed and drained.
1/4 cup of grass fed butter (or ghee, or extra virgin coconut oil)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup of maple syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 pinch sea salt
1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used EnjoyLifeFoods mini chocolate chips).
                                                                Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Line a 9x9 inch banking pan with parchment paper and set aside.*
3. Place all ingredients, except for the chocolate chips, in the food processor. Cover and blend until smooth.
4. Add chocolate chips and mix by hand until blended.
5. Evenly spread batter into pan.*
6. Bake for 28-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted to the center of brownies comes out clean.
7. Cut into 16 even squares.

*I used my silicone squares and my mini brownie pan instead of 9x9 inch baking pan.  I then distributed the batter evenly into 16 tiny squares.  If you use this method, baking time is about 22-25 minutes.


My next REFEED is a week and a half away.  I froze a couple of these for that day.

If you decide to make this, I'd love to know if you liked it or not.  And if you didn't like it, was it the texture?  I think that is the only issue for people who say they don't like it.  Please leave a comment and give me your honest feedback on this.

Until next time...

<3,
Marie




    No comments