Delicious (and clean eating) Fourth of July Recipes

What is clean eating?  

There are various definitions of clean eating. And here’s mine.  It is simple really. Instead of counting calories, you focus on cutting out processed foods and eating WHOLE foods.  This means staying out of the center aisles of the grocery store and sticking to (if possible, organic) fresh fruits and vegetables, (if possible, grass fed) meats, and (if possible, organic) full fat dairy.  Try sticking to organic, but I know that this isn’t always available.  Clean eating also means reading labels of EVERYTHING.  


Just remember, healthy and clean eating does not equal unpleasant food.  Here are some delicious healthy, clean Eating Fourth of July recipes. 

SIDE DISHES


Grilled Zucchini Slices Who doesn’t love zucchini? (skip the parmesan for diary free option) 

Pesto Caprese Penne Pasta Salad (I personally prefer gluten free pasta over whole wheat pasta.) 

Dairy Free Pesto (use this in place of the pesto recipe above) 

Also, you cannot go wrong with your good old fashioned salad. I like mine with spring greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, some sweet peppers with Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing.

MEAT, MEAT, MORE MEAT


Green Chile Burgers (it says pan fried but you can totally grill these) 

Sometimes, you just have to have hot dogs.  I love Applegate farms products, my boys do too!

DESSERT


You cannot go wrong with fresh fruit.  The best part about summer is local fruit is in abundance- cherries, berries, watermelon are everywhere!  You can also have pineapple and mango.

And of course, who doesn’t love cake? 4th of JulyWatermelon Cake 

DRINKS


OK. OK. So alcohol isn't exactly "clean eating." However, what's a BBQ without a little drink? My dear family and friends can tell you that I am the lightest drinker on the planet.  I opt for water (and maybe a cup of coffee) on get togethers- yes, even when we're out to eat. I turn heads when I hold alcohol in my hand. I don't like beer. I enjoy white wine, specificially Moscato. I also enjoy Sangria. Here are some not so bad for you drinks if you'd like to make some festive drinks.

Fruit Cocktail Sangria

Mason Jar Margarita (because I have a pack of Mason Jars that I bought from a JoAnn Fabric sale)

AND FINALLY

If you are hosting a 4th of July BBQ, you can now offer gluten free burger and hot dog buns for your guest with Udi’s brand.  When my son first started on his gluten free journey six years ago, hardly any of the supermarkets sell gluten free products.  Thank God, it is now easy to find these gluten free products.


If you are looking for Auto Immune friendly recipes, please check out my post in Read, Pray, Move (readpraymove.org).

These recipes can also be used throughout the summer for any of your backyard barbecues!  As always to key to healthy eating is moderation and balance! Have a safe and happy Fourth of July!

What are your favorite summer recipes? Please share them in the comment section!

No comments